Why is it when a chicken lays an egg I feel so accomplished? Yes, I ordered the chicks and have cared for them, fed them, kept the coop clean and dry, gave them fresh water, and protected them from harm...but nothing I did really produced the eggs. As long as they survived to an egg-laying age, the hens would make eggs. That's what they do. Doesn't matter...I am pleased as punch for the four eggs in four days that we have gotten. They tend to appear in the afternoon, and today's egg was actually in the nesting box! It's a big deal as the first one was just inside the coop, second on the ground under the coop, third on the ground next to the waterer... I was concerned that we would just keep moving farther and farther away from the coop. I have no clue who is laying or even how many are laying...but I think that it is just one hen right now.
I had a rough evening tonight and I am feeling sorta gloomy. I did manage to get part of the basement painted. I hope to do a second coat tomorrow sometime so that the furniture can be moved and the other half can be painted. I plan to scrapbook tomorrow evening so I will have to do it during the day.
I need to go to sleep as I am tired and dozing while typing.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Congratulations on the eggs! I feel the same sort of accomplishment. Maybe it's a bit like potty-training a child. Yes, chances are they are going to do it eventually on their own, but you need to be sure to give them the right environment and be sure that their basic needs are well tended to before they'll be able to make it to the next level. And yes, the greatest accomplishment is that you've raised them all to egg-laying age. Not such an easy task, I can tell you!
The big question is, what are you going to make with your first eggs?
Post a Comment