Today was the big day. I went to a new doctor today. I have told myself for years that I would get a new doctor, one who actually cared about me and my problems. Finally I did it. At least this new doctor seems proactive in helping me ease my pain. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel by in 2004 and it used to be pretty mild. Carpal tunnel is linked with hypothyriodism, from which I also suffer. When I started complaining about 3 years ago that my CT is much worse, the doctor just kept testing my thyroid and didn't really seem to want to try anything else.
My new doc and I had a long talk today about my carpal tunnel, the numbness in my left leg and my thyroid. According to my blood work, my thyroid seems under control and we aren't going to mess with it unless I start to have symptoms again. Unfortunately, my carpal tunnel has been left basically untreated for so long that I could have permanent nerve damage. I get to go to an orthapedist for a surgery evaluation. Hopefully, they will opt for surgery another nerve conduction test, though my last one was over 4 years ago and they may require one. Surgery will happen, but we are just hoping to avoid a painfully test. My doc has also moved me to a low carb diet in order to reduce any swelling that I may have in my wrist. I will have to quit weight watchers for now in order to do an Adkins like diet. She said if we can get some of the pain gone, then I will be able to rejoin WW.
As for the numbness in my leg, it could be a variety of things and they took my blood to test for lots of things. If the tests come back normal, then I will have to go for an MRI. I am hoping it is just something easy like an electrolyte imbalance.
We'll see in a couple of weeks.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am glad to hear that you are at least moving in the right direction. I was so happy to get a good doctor who finally put all of the pieces together for me and diagnosed my fibromyalgia.
Thank goodness she seems to be trying something (not to mention listening to you). Nobody should have to live in the type of pain you were describing Saturday.
Post a Comment