Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sammy's poor little elbow

Today, I was trying to get Sammy into his bedroom for a diaper change and a break. I was holding his hand and walking down the hall. He started to throw a fit and threw himself onto the floor. Unfortunately, I was still holding his hand. I heard a quick "pop pop" and let go as soon as his arm popped. But it was too late. Sam was already crying (from his fit) and started crying worse. I carried him to his room and changed him. He fell asleep crying in my arms. I wasn't sure what was wrong, but he wasn't really using his arm. I put him in bed and as he was sleeping, everytime he moved, he cried out. I called the doctor and she gave me an appointment for later in the day. I had to wake him up for the bus stop and to go to the doctor. He wouldn't use his arm at all. We didn't see our usual doctor but Dr. West heard the story and nodded "Nursemaid's elbow". I had never heard of such a thing, but Sammy had it. The ligament was badly inflamed because it had been two hours since it had popped so she had some trouble popping it back. I have never ever heard Sammy scream like that. His arm seemed just fine by dinner time though. Unfortunately, the problem will likely happen again as the doctor thinks Sammy will be prone to it. Ugh. Everytime it happens (if it does), we will have to take him to the doctor quickly to have it popped back.

No comments: