Friday, February 27, 2009

Little Bit


Little Bit is Joe's favorite cat. She is the most cuddly of our two cats and is so good with the kids. She's got a major problem though. She pees. Yes, I know cats are supposed to pee, but they are supposed to pee in their litter box. Not on the firewood carrier, the stroller, the couch, the beds, the bathroom rugs. We isolated her in the office for a while in hopes that we could fix the problem. We let her out and it was fixed for a bit. It's been about 2 months now and she is peeing again. We took the tops off the litter boxes, we haven't changed litter (ever!), and she's been to the vet for exams. I love this cat. I've had her since she was 3 months old and she is now 9 1/2 years old.
I don't think we can find her a new home because she would probably do this somewhere else too. We are basically stuck with three options: 1) isolate her again for good 2) make her an outdoor kitty or 3) put her to sleep.
Well, I can tell you right now that I am NOT putting her to sleep. She does have some health problems, but nothing major and I disagree with putting an animal to sleep because of a behavior thing.
She is miserable being isolated because she is such a "person" cat and she doesn't get enough interaction when she is isolated.
We live by two busy streets and I do know if I could stand seeing her hit by a car so I am reluctant to put her outside.
I also, though, can't have her peeing inside on our things anymore. She has ruined a lot of things, not to mention the smell that seems to prevade even after stuff is washed.
Poor kitty. I just don't know what to do.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Have you asked your vet for behavioral therapy ideas?

SmearedEyeliner said...

I am sad. That cat is so very sweet.

What about giving her to somebody who lives someplace safer for an outdoor kitty?