So my Monday didn't start out the best. I had hoped to not take the kids with me to the doctor, but Joe was sick Sunday night. My babysitter declined to watch the other two in order to protect her kids from the stomach bug. I completely understand and would have probably done the same, but still frustrated with the whole thing. Rather than risk exposing anyone else, I just decided to take them with me.
So, Joe was off school but Tommy still had school. We loaded up and headed out right on time. I had forgotten that I really needed gas, but I was pretty sure that I had enough to get Tom to school and then back to the gas station. At the corner of Hog Neck Road and Mountain Road, I saw the heating oil truck that was on its way to our house. Great, except I forgot to leave the check on the door! So, we had to turn around and drive home, give the check, and drive all the way back towards Tom's school. Of course, now I was nervous about not having enough gas so we stopped and got some. Tom was about 15 minutes late to school.
When I got home, I check my voicemail to find an upset customer. She had requested a catalog. I had called, explained why I didn't have any, given her the number of my friend (as well as contacting my friend myself), but she still hadn't gotten a catalog. She said some not nice things on the voicemail and I spent the next 20 mintues trying to solve that problem only to find out it had already been solved. The voicemail had been from Sunday afternoon, but since our voicemail doesn't time stamp, I had no idea.
Fast forward to the doctor's appointment. I had called on Friday to get a refill on my thyroid medications. The receptionist said that since I hadn't been in since September then I needed to get it checked now. Okay, so we made an appointment for Monday. Our dr office asked that we be there 15 minutes prior to the appointment. We got there at 1:45 and checked in. Our dr does everything electronically. The receptionists were very busy because one of them had called out sick and the check in ladies were also having to check out people as well. Anyway, I signed all the forms that needed updated for the new year, the receptionsit checked me in and we sat to wait. And wait. And wait. I had brought our two leapsters for Joe and Tom so they were occupied. I played with Sam with a calculator from my purse and we managed to stay out of trouble. By 2:30, I was starting to wonder why I hadn't been called back. The wait is usually nowhere near that long. I waited until the front desk didn't have a line and then went up to ask how much longer. I hate asking that because they don't really know and no matter how nice I ask, I still feel like a bitch for complaining. The receptionist who checked me in apologized and said I shouldn't have had to wait this long, but she would check for me. I go sit down. After some "how did that happen" and "now what do we do", she called to the back and talked to one of the nurses. I could hear her whole side of the conversation. I had been checked in and then somehow unchecked so it looked like I had never arrived for my appointment. Since the nurses in the back didn't know I was there, they had moved on to the next appointment. Now 40 minutes after my appointment time, they didn't have a spot for me. The receptionist asked if she was just supposed to send me home. Which started to make me really really irked, but then the receptionist hung and didn't say anything to me. I was called back next and pretty rushed through the normal check up stuff with the nurse. The doctor comes in and she apologizes and explains what happened and then asked why I am there. I say for my thyroid meds.
Oh, she says...you were just here in September and unless you have symptoms, then you don't need a recheck for a year. I could have just written you a new prescription.
I explained that the front desk had told me I needed one, and she said they wouldn't charge me for today because I didn't need to come it. She wrote me a new one and she left. I was in the exam room for less than 7 minutes all told. I waited for an hour for an appointment that I didn't even need that lasted only 7 minutes.
The kids were fairly good through the whole thing though. I was just frustrated.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment