Monday, May 11, 2009

Calling poison control

Our house is a disaster area right now because we are painting the inside. Bedroom closet doors are stacked in the living room, stuff is piled up everywhere.
Since those closet doors are in the living room, it means there is no way to keep little kids out of closets. Sam's closet was emptied since he is in that room alone at night. My closet is not empty. Sammy wanted to go potty so I took off his jeans and sent him to towards the bathroom. He got sidetracked and went to my closet instead. He somehow managed to find one of the few things in his reach that could hurt him, all the way on the back of the shelf. I came into the room about a minute after he did and his shirt, face and hands were wet. But no bottle or anything in sight. I took him to the bathroom and helped him go potty. The whole time I was looking at him wondering what was going on. He looked at me and said "I drank mommy's water. I got it on hands" He held out his hand. I smelled it and the smell was familiar, but I couldn't place it. I went to the closet and started poking around in there. I smelled the lotions, but that wasn't quite right. And there it was. In the very back of the closet, stashed where I would not normally have it. He must have stuck it back there after he was done. Baby oil. It was a fairly new bottle and there wasn't much gone. I can't imagine that it tastes very good, but who knows. I taste tested the last thing he drank, so I was not going to do it this time. I called poison control and after a series of questions, I hung up feeling reassured that he was fine. If the child has no breathing problems, doesn't injest much and already has food in the stomach, then they will typically be fine. The biggest problems (has been fatal in the past!) is when it gets in their lungs. He will probably have diaherra from it. The lady just said to wipe his mouth and have him drink anything that he wants.
This is the second time we have had to call poison control. Both times have been for Sam. The first time he drank dish soap. I wasn't sure how much he drank, but he was making bubbles with his mouth. I tasted it and it was extremely bitter, but I called poison control anyway. He was fine then. He seems fine now, but it is always better safe than sorry.

No comments: