Friday, May 22, 2009

My social misfit

We had a conference with Joe's teacher recently. It was supposed to be just the standard, end of year conference. We went over his report card and the areas that he needs to improve. His social behaviors are still just not at all where they need to be for a boy getting ready for first grade. She called Joe an "academically gifted social misfit." I was a littled miffed that she called him that, but Jay's reply (when I relayed it to him) was "just like his dad"
Jay had lots of social problems as a small child as well. He once got kicked out of science camp for putting super glue in all the door locks. I could see Joe doing something like that. We are probably past due for another evaluation. The last two haven't done much so I wasn't really pushing for another one. His teacher is recommending one though. She thinks now that we have a year of documented behaviors and opinions from his teachers that we may benefit from another evaluation.
There was one time that I worried about a label on Joe. Now, I just want help. I don't want him to hate school or be miserable at school. Joe complains to his teacher and us that none of the kids in his class pick him to be a partner. His teacher explains that the reason is his behavior towards them. If he would be nicer, they would be friends. Joe just can't seem to grasp the relationship between his behavior and their reactions.
We'll see.

No comments: