Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Another milestone behind us

Yesterday was Tom's 5th birthday and we had a fun time, despite the fact that he ended up with (almost) no guests at his party. My mother-in-law was able to make it, but my nieces weren't able, nor was Tom's great aunt. It turned out to be just too long of a drive and too busy of a holiday for any friends to make it. (Completely understandable!)
The day was too cloudy and cool for swimming, so the boys rode bikes and went out in the canoe with Jay and my dad instead. It was Sam's first time in the canoe and I think he enjoyed doing something big boyish. At first, after Sammy had already gotten his shoes out, Jay said no, that he was too little to go. Poor Sam erupted in the giant tears and just utter heartbreak. My dad overrode and of course he could go, afterall, there were two adults going.
He had fun and had some yummy Smith Island Cake (8 layers of cake and 8 layers of chocolate frosting) after we sang happy birthday. We had homemade pizza for our lunch (along with beer and margaritas for the some of the grown ups)
Traffic wasn't too bad on the way home. It maybe added 10-15 minutes. Not to bad for Labor Day.

A side note: I have a few scrapbook "friends". I know them only from scrapbooking/Close To My Heart and don't know them well. We are also friends on facebook. One is a fairly conservative republican widowed mother in Buffalo. Her son and exchange student are both in high school. Anyway, she wrote on her status that she was surprisingly pleased with President Obama for asking students to work hard and achieve their full potential. Now, I love her status, but my side note deals with a comment she recieved. Many of her friends "liked" her status or said something very positive. However one friend, whom I do not know, commented "dislike button pressed". Which really irked me. I don't know this lady that said it at all, however, I feel that she "disliked" simply because she dislikes the President. Stupid. It's one thing to like or dislike a policy or even a President, but to dislike something positive that the President said simply because of not liking him really irrates me. He asked students to go to class, listen and learn and work hard. What is there to dislike?!? Would you rather your child skipped class, failed and worked in a fast food restraurant, mopping floors for the next 15 years?! Seriously. Okay, I know that I shouldn't get worked up over no one that I know, but it just shows how blinded some people really are. Arrrrrr.
Alright, I vented, I'm better now.

No comments: