Him. A male. A rooster. Yes, one of eight beautiful hens we are growing is growing her own very impressive comb. So I suspect that she is a he. We have two New Hampshire Reds and their combs are very different. It has only been in about the last week that he has grown his stately comb, but what will I do with a rooster? It's one thing to have hens, but a rooster is a different story. Yes, I know that we will only have them for a short while longer, but what do I do with him then? I have planned to give Jessica my hens, but I have no clue if she has any interest in a hen. Jay mentioned dinner, but I can't. I am too attached to these chickens to ever think about eating one.
Of course, it could be a she and just have a large comb. I researched some things on mypetchicken.com and sometimes a female can take on male characteristics if there are no roosters. The website says that while comb size could be an indicator, full on crowing is more reliable along with a certain shaped tail feather. I really don't know. Perhaps, I am just jumping the gun in assuming that she is a he.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment