In January of 2008, Jay and I were starting to think about owning a larger home. Jay's grandparents were no longer living in their home and it had been talked about for the last 4-5 years that perhaps Jay and I would buy it at some point. So, we approached his grandparents about buying the home and his grandfather said yes, while his grandmother said we'll see. A few months later, Papa passed away, and we were told that Grammy shouldn't sell with the market so bad. It was hinted to us that we were trying to take advantage of her. That was never our intention. The house was at one time a very nice house on 14 acres. It wasn't being taken care of and it was hard for Jay and I to see that. We were married on the front lawn of the house.
So, fast forward about 18+ months...
Jay's uncle Warren is a trustee for the estate along with Grammy. Though he lives in the same county, he doesn't make it up to the house very often. Upon visiting the house last week, he was shocked at the state it was in. He then went to Grammy and told her that the house needed to be sold or it was going to not be worth anything later on.
Jay and I briefly talked about it and it looks like we are adding our name to the short list of people who want the house. The plan is to offer it to Jay's dad Mark first, then us, then open market.
We, of course, are moving to Australia so we would have to rent it out while we are gone. I'm not going to really think about it until it actually happens. I have a feeling that Mark will probably buy it. He lives in a tiny house with his girlfriend of two years. She has 4 middle school and high school age kids and have no where to sleep when they come stay with their mom on weekends.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My fingers are crossed for you!
Post a Comment