Our 8 little babies arrived safe and sound today. The post office called while the boys and I were at the feed store buying some chick food. I was surprised to hear the message when we got home since the chicks weren't scheduled to arrive until Wednesday. Of course, I hadn't gotten the brooder set up yet.
The boys and I quickly set up a temporary box for the chicks to have warmth, water and food and then dashed to the post office to get them. You could hear the peeping as soon as they carried the box out. They peeped all the way home and seemed relieved to get out of the tiny box and into a slightly bigger box with some food and water. I then started work on the brooder.
The babies need 95 degree temps during their first week with temps decreasing 5 degrees a week until age 5 weeks, so a heat lamp is needed. Check.
The chicks will need 2 sq ft per chick when they get a little older. Check. Sorta.
The sides of the brooder need to be at least 12 inches, though higher is better. Check.
Chicken wire. check.
Feeder. check.
waterer. check.
roost. check.
bedding. check.
I set up the bottom half of our largest dog crate out in the corner of the garage. I covered the open end with chicken wire and the top half of the crate, set on its end. I placed a bar across the top of the crate and hung the light from it. I filled it will 1 1/2 inches of bedding, added the food and water and baby chicks. It looked pretty good.
Then I had to add the chicken wire roof so that they wouldn't fly out. It's not really easy to attach the chicken wire and it is all asunder. It's just a mess and it's ugly, but completely functional, which is all that matters.
I will be sure to post more news later, but for now, I am going to play with some chicks!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment