So for the first week after Jay's accident, he had a really nice rental car. After that, we were on our own. We asked around the family and ended up with Jay's late grandfather's truck, better known as Pappa's truck. Pappa's truck is a small green 1986 Ford Ranger. It was never a daily driver, but was used somewhat regularly for a while. However, I've know Jay since late 1999 and Pappa had quit driving the truck long before then. His eyesight was bad and his wife had her own car that she drove (though she quit driving in '03 or '04). Anyway, the truck has not be regularly driven or maintained since then. It gets used by family sometimes to take things to the dump or haul mulch. It just doesn't get used much. Anyway, we borrowed it. Jay has worked on it every day since he brought it home almost 2 weeks ago.
Late this afternoon, I was planting some annuals along the front walk, when the phone rang. It was Jay, calling to say he'd run out of gas. I asked where he was. His answer: My usual place. Yes ladies and gentlemen, his usual place. He has run out of gas near the intersection of Routes 176 and 170 three times and in three different cars.* The last two times, he was very close to the intersection, but today he was right at it. Lovely. It's a really really busy intersection with no shoulders or anything.
I gathered my shoeless kids from the yard and grabbed a gas can. After a quick stop to fill the can, we drove out to him. I had to stop in a travel lane to give him the can and we sat for a couple minutes, until I just got to nervous sitting right where cars were having to go around us. I drove down to the 84 Lumber to wait on him.
The truck just wouldn't start. So, I had to go back to the intersection and use a rope to tow him to the 84 Lumber. We then went and got more gas for the truck. Still no luck. Jay tried to unclog the fuel filter. No luck. Of course, he is still dressed in his slacks and polo shirt from work. Not the best thing in which to be laying on the ground and working on a truck.
At about 7, Jay gave up. We came home so he could change, I could feed kids and he could go back out after a stop at the the auto parts store.
Of course, I am not sure how he will get two vehicles home if he manages to get the truck started again. I don't think that he is thinking through this whole idea very well.
I sorta thought we should get it towed home. Then at least, he could have worked on it in his own garage where he can have a light and everything. Instead, he's on the side of a dark street, trying to work on Pappa's truck.
*Jay is one of those people who likes to get every drop of gas out of his gas tank before refueling. He's run out of gas about 8 times since we've been married. He averages just less than 1 a year since we have been married almost 9 years. He ran out of gas several times before we were married and before I knew him too. Times that I have run out of gas in my entire life: NEVER!
He has ran out of gas at the same intersection three times now...once in his Dodge Neon, once in the Checker, and now in Pappa's truck. Geez.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I really can't help but laugh at this story. I know it's awful and I should feel really bad for you, and I do, but also- "the usual spot"! That is so funny!!!! I mean, once is annoying, twice is kind of weird, but three times is hilarious!
Post a Comment