Friday, July 10, 2009

7 out of 8 chickens agree...

The title came to me while chasing one chicken around and around the yard. We lock our chickens in a coop at night and I seem to always be chasing 1 chicken around at night trying to convince her to head to bed. I sprinkle some scratch in the coop, fill their water and stand back. 6-7 usually head right in, fast as can be. I tend to have 1-2 that just won't go in. It's almost like a naughty kid trying to stay up late. I came home from a MOM Club event today and had three chickens in the driveway. They ran around to the gate and I was able to get them back in without too much trouble. Our 4 1/2 ft fence contains them for the most part. If I thought they would stay out of the road, I wouldn't worry about keeping them in the pen. (For those who aren't familiar with the set up, our chicken coop is inside the fenced area we made for Chloe. It's a big fenced area with lots of shade). The chickens like to climb the trees in the pen and have been known from time to time to jump the fence.
I didn't feel like cooking tonight, but I didn't feel like eating out at a real place. We tried to figure out where to go. We asked our kids and Sammy jumped up yelling "hot dog!" Jay said maybe we should try Anne's Dairy Creme. We've never eaten there, but our neighbors like it. As a kid in a tiny town, we would occasionally eat out at the only restaurant in town. My favorite meal (from there) as a kid was a foot long hot dog with chili and ketchup, onion rings and a orange slushie. Dessert was always a vanilla ice cream dipped in cherry coating. Yum!
Anne's only has foot long hot dogs, no regular ones. We ordered one each for the kids, plus food for Jay and I. We ate outside in the grass as they have no place to eat inside. Joe had half a foot long, Sammy had half a foot long, and Tommy ate his entire foot long and the other half of Joe's foot long. We brought half a foot long home and someone can eat it tomorrow. It brought back lots of memories. Though Anne's cuts the foot longs in half before wrapping them up. As a kid, they were served whole and part of the appeal was trying to hold up a massive hot dog.
After dinner, we asked the kids what they wanted to do and gave them three choices 1) go home and go to bed 2) go home and build the bunk beds 3) go to the park and play. Our kids all three picked bunk beds. So we went home and bunked Joe and Tom's bed in order to give them more room in their room. We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Love Anne's DC....love, love, love them