Saturday, July 4, 2009

This wasn't what we had planned

On Thursday, we had a pretty decent plan for the weekend. Saturday would be spent in Calvert County the entire day visiting family and allowing Jay to race in the annual 4th of July pool races. We would miss the 4th of July games taking place on the 3rd because Jay has to work.
I went out for my final MOMS Club board meeting as soon as Jay got home on Thursday so I wasn't able to talk to him much. When I got home from dinner, he announced that he didn't have to work. "Great" I said. "Well, yeah, I thought so...until my mom called."
I figured that she was just calling to set up some baby sitting that I had requested. No, she was calling to tell Jay that he had to remove all of his stuff from the cabin. (Which we planned to do it August anyway.) Problem was it had to be out this weekend, no reason given. When I asked her about it later and why it was so sudden, she just said that she'd known for a while that it needed to get out, but still no reason.
Well, we had quite a bit of furniture there plus all the spare engines for the Checker. We have no place to put them right now. We were planning to rent some storage place in the same building my dad has some rented, but we were planning to do it in August.
So our plans had to change. We decided to do to go to the cabin/Calvert County on Friday. We would then get to do the 4th of July games on Friday but Jay would have to miss competing in the pool races. Saturday we would drive all of our stuff to my mom's house and unload at the storage place. We would then spend the day in her community pool and hit the fireworks in Cambridge.
Friday went okay. The games started super early this year, at 9:30 so we missed most of the games. We were there to participate in the egg race and the egg toss. Jay managed to pull 3rd place in the egg race, but we didn't get any other ribbons this year. And I am proud to say that the egg in the egg toss broke in Jay's hands, not mine. We gathered up Jay's dad and his girlfriend and went over to the cabin. Jay loaded up the engines, while I tried to locate all of our stuff. The cabin is being renovated and the floors refinished (or installed for the first time). All the stuff has been shoved upstairs into the sleeping loft.
We got most of what we wanted loaded onto the trailer when Jay's mom announced that the furniture could actually stay for a bit longer. Jay said "no, if we are being kicked out, then we're leaving." We will have to go back in August for the rest of our stuff. It just couldn't fit in the car or trailer.
We swam in the community pool for about 45 minutes and then we headed home. I had made chili in the crock pot while Jay had made bread in the bread machine before we left. Something went horribly wrong with the bread and was a total loss. We had chili though and put the kids to bed as it was pretty late already.

We woke up Saturday morning to the phone ringing at 7 am. We don't have a phone in our room anymore and neither of us felt like getting up to answer it. We get so many wrong numbers that there is little point in rushing to the phone. Shortly after the house phone stopped ringing, my cell phone started ringing. Well, this can't be good. There is usually only 1 reason to call so early. I didn't get to my cell phone in time but the call was from my mom. I called her back right away.
My uncle Joe (her brother-in-law) had a herniated disk rupture last night which caused some of the bones in his spine to break, the bone fragments are pushing on his spine and he is paralyzed. He is going in for surgery on Wedseday with the hope that if they remove the fragments, then he won't be paralyzed anymore. Mom is flying down today to help her sister with her kids (ages 12 and 7) and whatnot. Mom asked that we not come to her house today because Dad is taking her to the airport and won't be home.
So no pool or firework plans for Saturday. We promised our kids fireworks so we are scrambled to find some other plans but man o man, this was not what we had planned.
We are going to unload our stuff on Sunday now and Sunday's plan of bunking the big boys' beds got moved for today.

No comments: