Saturday, March 13, 2010

End of the week

I tend to get end of the week blues. To know that yet another week as come and passed without any word on our move bums me out. It doesn't keep me down for long, but down for a bit. Fridays also tend to be the night that I have the most trouble sleeping. Last night was no different as I was awake until 2. Tom and Sam were both up at 6, as they had been sent to their rooms for a time out just before 5 (they were hitting each other) and they both fell asleep!
So, it was just Jay, Joe and I for our dinner of chicken enchiladas, homemade spanish rice, veggies, and pineapple. That was our second night of having not everyone for dinner. Jay had poker on Thursday night so I took the kids out for Pizza for a Cause at Ledo's. The kids had breadsticks and a medium meatlover's pizza while I had a veggie calzone. The three kids ate all 6 breadsticks and all but 3 pieces of the pizza! Holy cow! You'd think that I never feed them. I don't want to think about the amount of food they'll eat when they in high school if they eat this much now.
I thought I would share the recipe from last night as this is one of our favorites.
Chicken enchiladas:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 4oz cans of diced green chiles
1/2 of an onion, diced
2 cans enchilada sauce (I usually use 1 hot and 1 mild, but use 2 mild for less spicy)
10 flour tortillas (smaller size)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Cook chicken and onions until chicken is cooked. Add black beans and chiles and heat through. Add 3/4 of a can of sauce. Stir well and remove from heat.
Pour the remaining 1/4 can into the bottom of 9x13 pan.
Spoon filling into tortillas. Roll them up, without folding the edges in. Place end to end into 9x13 pan. You will make two rows of 5. Top with second can of enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake from about 30-35 minutes. This makes plenty of food for a crowd, or just leftovers for lunches.

Spanish Rice (again this makes lots of food, good for a crowd or leftovers.)This recipe is modified from the one in the Joy of Cooking.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
2 cups long grain rice
1 can diced tomatoes
3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or half chicken broth, half water)
1/2-1 teaspoon paprika (depending on how spicy you want it)
1/8 ground teaspoon ground black pepper.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Heat oil in large oven proof skillet. Saute onion, garlic and bacon until onions are golden and bacon just begins to crisp. Stir in rice. Stir until coated. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Once boiling, remove from heat, cover pan, and place in oven. Bake 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Let cool on counter for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: