Monday, March 8, 2010

Week 3 menu

Okay, since I didn't really cook much last week, I am counting this as week three. I am doing a mix of pre-made and made-that-day meals. While I really love having the premade meals, it restricts our diet a bit since some things just can't be made ahead.
Tonight: Weight Watchers Southwestern Salmon, salad, and rice
Tuesday: Weight Watchers Quick Gumbo, cornbread, veggies (new recipe!)
Wednesday: Weight Watchers Make ahead meatballs (made with ground turkey and turkey sausage)
Thursday: March of dimes night at Ledo Pizza
Friday: Chicken Enchiladas (pre-made)
Saturday: Weight Watchers Italian style white bean soup (meatless and in the crock pot, will need to soak the beans the day before) (I use dried beans because they are less expensive and have less sodium than canned)
Sunday: Weight watchers pot roast


By request, I am including a recipe. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it seems pretty straight forward and it's a weight watchers recipe which means it's usually pretty good.

Quick Gumbo (From the Weight Watchers New complete cookbook)
makes 4 servings (295 cal, 8 gr fat, 35 g carbs, and 4g fiber) (6 points per serving)

4 tsp Olive Oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
6 scallions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14 1/2 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups homemade chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth
1 cup trimmed sliced fresh or thawed frozen okra
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/8- 1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup regular long grain rice
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 2inch piece kielbasa, cut into 8 slices

1) heat oil in large, non stick saucepan over medium heat. Saute the pepper, celery, scallions, and garlic until softened, about 5 min. Stir in everything else, except meat and rice. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 min.
2) Stir in rice and simmer, covered 15 min. Add shrimp, chicken and kielbasa and cook until shrimp is pink and chicken is cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving.


**My thoughts on this recipe:
1) We will have to double it. My kids will probably eat this so we will need more than 4. All extras are eaten for lunch. I will save some calories and fat by substituting turkey kielbasa for regular and will also use less oil. 4 tsp is a bit much. I will probably also increase the vegatables in it a little, but I am always excited about new recipes.

I plan to just serve fresh cut veggies and cornbread with it. We tend to use a corn bread mix (Jiffy brand) and make either the bread or the muffins according to the instructions.

This week is very heavy on meals from my various Weight Watcher cookbooks. I just didn't feel like pulling any other books out while I sat down to plan our meals. Plus, it helps us eat healthy. :)

No comments: