Thursday, March 25, 2010

The house that built me

I heard a song yesterday for the first time. It actually made me tear up a bit, which is sorta odd as I never react to songs that way. The song is called "The House That Built Me" by Miranda Lambert. (If you want to hear the song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXpUhAWRWs )


I grew up on a farm in Southeastern Ohio. When I was about 3 years old, my dad started building our house. (Before he started, we lived in a converted two car garage). It took nine years of every spare moment of good weather for my dad to build our house. We lived in the completed house for only about a year before my dad lost his job. He could only find a job in Indiana, about 8 hours away. For about 6 months, he drove home every weekend, but as soon as school was out for the summer, we moved.


The move was pretty hard on me. Besides the house, there was the farm. I went on a school trip about 1 month before moving and my mom gave away my horse. I didn't even know she was going to do that. There had been some talk of moving my horse with us and boarding her. I spent almost every waking moment outside. The woods, fields, streams, barn...where ever. Even when I was supposed to be in my room, I would sneak out the window and take off.
I miss how I used to feel on the farm. I am not a "crowds" kind of person. I like more open space. So when Miranda Lambert sings about feeling broken and thinking that a trip back to the house that she grew up in... I get it.

No comments: