Thursday, February 18, 2010

Back to school

Yesterday, the boys actually had school! The county schools are on a two hour delay all week, which would normally mean that pre-school is canceled. However, the school decided to buck the rules and have school anyway. Yea! The kids really needed that normal schedule. We still can't get to the bus spot easily. We get the bus on the other side of Belhaven so we have to go down the hill in our yard and cross the street. Since we don't have a shoveled path there, it would involve either wading through deep snow or walking out the driveway and along the road, which is just not safe. Thankfully, we have a great bus driver who is happy to pick up and drop off Joe at the driveway while the snow is here. She drives by the house anyway so it works out.

Our meals are working out great so far. We had a chicken casserole on Monday, Puerto Rican Roasted Pork on Tuesday, and lasagna yesterday. Tonight will be chicken enchiladas. I also have to soak the beans for the crock pot soup tomorrow. My friend Jenny has started a new blog with a project she is doing. She is trying to only go to the grocery store once every two weeks. Hats off to her as my goal with these menus and pre-made meals is to go to the store only once a week (vs the 2-3 times we usually go). I am probably going to have to break it already because we need dish soap and probably milk. I am trying, but our refridgerator just doesn't hold enough milk. Though we don't drink as much as we used to, we drink about 5 1/2 to 6 gallons a week*. If Jay is drinking beer with dinner, it is slightly less, but if he drinks milk with dinner, it is more. When I pregnant and nursing, I craved milk so we went through a lot. Jay was also drinking only milk at dinner, no beer. We used to go through 9 gallons a week!!! Still the 5+ is too much to keep on hand.
Jay called me yesterday and let me know that there is a good chance he could go back to Australia during the first week in March. The kids and I will still be here. Ugh. I sorta knew this was coming. Jay has been trying to do his job by phone for a long time right now, and it just isn't working. I was just hoping that the pressure of needing Jay in Australia would push the other company into signing the paperwork for us to move...why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?


* In case you were wondering, my three kids drink 8-12 ounces of milk with all three meals. Jay drinks about 12 oz with breakfast and then 16+ with dinner. So not counting the milk I drink, we go through 84-136 oz of milk a day. A gallon is 128 oz. I have 1/2 a cup on my cereal and sometimes drink it with dinner (though my milk is fat free and everyone else drinks 2%).

No comments: