So for the longest time I was a menu person. I would write a menu and a shopping list, go to the grocery store and be set for the week. Then Sam was born... I just quit with menus. No real reason, but I just didn't feel like doing it anymore. So meal time has been a struggle since then. I usually had some sort of vague plan, but some times didn't. We are eating out more than I like and much more than I can afford. For a while, we did schedule meals like spaghetti every Monday, pizza on Wednesday, tacos on Thursday. That helped because I didn't have to think about it, but I hated it because I don't like eating some of those foods every week.
One of my goals for when I move to Australia is to make ahead some meals every week so that they are made and ready to go. I decided yesterday morning that there is no reason for me to wait until I move. (Who knows when that will be, right?) So, I made a menu and a shopping list. I did dishes. We went to the grocery store. We came home and ate lunch. Then I made four meals. A chicken casserole for Monday night (not cooked, but all put together to go in the oven at the correct time). A pork tenderloin into the marinade for Tuesday's meal. The lasagna is now oven ready for Wednesday as well as the chicken and black bean enchiladas for Thursday. I have a plan for Friday and Saturday as well, but they aren't meals that make ahead very well. Everything but the enchiladas are weight watchers too so that is good. After making meals, I had to do the dishes all over again. It was a lot of work, but hopefully worth it.
I hope to be able to continue this trend as I think it will save us money and headaches. We'll see.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Funny that you are doing this. I also am making a change and blogging about it. You should check it out.
http://paydayshopping.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment