Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Just doesn't seem right

Okay, so about 3-4 times a month, something comes home from Joe's school as a fundraiser. Sometimes, it is just a notice that we are having a pizza night or sometimes it is a "buy this cookie dough" or something. We pick and choose which ones we are going to do. A little annoying that we get asked to spend money a lot, but no big deal. Until yesterday.
Yesterday three fundraising things got sent home. We are having a food night, we are selling candles, and we have something for Time Magazine kids. Never have we been pressured to do something. It just comes home in the bookbag. This Time Magazine thing is actually no cost to us. We just have to fill out 7-10 cards with the contact info for our friends and family. The subscription company then sends magazine offeres to those friends and family. Our school gets NO money for doing this, but the school will get a free subscription to Time Magazine Kids. Okay, no thanks. Except that Joe's teacher wrote on the homework agenda that Joe's homework was to fill out the magazine cards...and then told the kids it was very very important that they get the cards filled out. Ummmm. NO. So I wrote a long note to Joe's teacher explaining that we don't pass out the personal information of our friends and family and that I didn't think it was an appropriate homework assignment.

To add to my irritation, Joe's teacher told him that she hated his coat and he needed to get a new one. What? His zipper does get stuck from time to time because Joe is not careful zipping, but there is nothing wrong with the coat and certainly no reason to get a new one. I included a side note saying that there is nothing wrong with his coat and that we would not be spending our money on a new one.
Just not right.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I totally agree and applaud you for your candid letter to her. UGH!

Jessica said...

I think the note about the fundraiser as homework should go to the principal and PTA also. I am offended in advance. I hope that doesn't happen to me and I thank you so much for not spamming me! That is inappropriate and there should be a policy against it!