Last year, I made the decision to make a handmade Christmas. The vast majority of gifts that I gave were handmade. In the days leading up to Christmas last year, I swore up and down that I would never, ever do it again. The stress and extra work was too much. Because of all the stress, I didn't have any time to enjoy the season. Imagine my dismay when my mother (who loved my idea) annouced that Christmas 2008 would be all handmade gifts (except those given to the kids.) I complained. I begged. I pleaded. I cried. All to no avail. My mom and sister were dead set on a homemade Christmas. So here I am, on December 13, with little to no Christmas spirit and no time to enjoy the season. I was supposed to go to a Holiday Tea with fellow CTMH consultants, but finally, I canceled because I just don't have the time to drive to VA, spend several hours, and drive back. That's 6 hours out of the day that I need to spend working on gifts. My house isn't decorated. I want to decorate, but I feel I need to clean up a bit first...so I haven't done anything. The tree is downstairs in the family room and Sam has quite a bit of affection for pulling off ornaments. He has broken 4 now so I can't leave him alone downstairs. If he is there, I have to be there. The family room is fairly clean, but the upstairs is a wreck!
On the plus side, my sister's gifts are done and wrapped. I just need to pack and ship them. My brother's is done and I have started my sister-in-law's. I still have to make Jay's, Mom's, and Dad's. Oh, and Christmas (like last year) is early because family can't all get the same days off. We are holding Christmas next Friday and Saturday so everything needs to be done by Thursday night.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
For the record, I was not dead-set on it.
I cried to mom over the phone about the fact it was causing me enormous stress with trying to study for the GRE and do grad school stuff. But she thought the idea was great.
I also have $50 worth of yarn I bought to make Nick something, except I never did get down to take that knitting class :P
You are too good. I used to make, bake and buy a gift every year for everyone on my list. I am down to bake and buy and the baking is becoming so expensive! My SIL once said "Why doesn't she just buy her friends gifts like everyone else?" Obviously she has no clue the amount if time and energy it requires and that it means so much more. I'd love some ideas from you on what you make.
Post a Comment