It was a mad house and I was happy to leave. I had to run to BJ's too, but it is a much bigger place and didn't seem quite so packed.
We had beer can chicken, baked beans, strawberries and veggies for dinner. I just felt like making something very untraditional for Christmas Eve dinner.
After dinner and bath, the boys sprinkled reindeer food on the lawn outside the basement door. The reindeer food is oatmeal and cookie sprinkles and a little poem about how it will sparkle in the moonlight so the reindeer can find our house. It was super cute to watch all three of them carefully sprinkle and spread out the food. We left a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk for Santa and headed upstairs to read "The Night Before Christmas". Each boy hung their stockings on the railing and went to bed after the story.
After the boys were asleep (it took them a while because they were so excited!), Jay and I wrapped all of the gifts to the boys. As a child, our stuff wasn't usually wrapped, but Jay had grown up with everything little thing wrapped, even the toothbrush in the stocking! We decided on a mix. Wrap the big stuff, and some of the stocking stuffers, but leave some unwrapped as well.
Jay decided that breakfast on Christmas day would be cinnamon rolls. From scratch, (using our bread machine to start the dough) they take about 4 1/2 hours from start to finish, including all of the rise time. He had the bread machine set to start at 5:30 am so that it would be ready for the next step at 7.
We headed to bed and I had to get up around 1:30 am with Joe. He had thrown up in bed and needed help getting everything cleaned up. We cleaned everything best we could in the dark since we didn't want to wake up Tommy and he went back to sleep, no problem.
Joe woke up again at 6:15. We had told them that they couldn't get out of bed before 7 and couldn't go downstairs before everyone was awake. Joe got out of bed and checked the clock about every 10 minutes until it said 7:01 am. It was just about everything he could do to not go downstairs.
Everyone was awake at about 7:15 and ready for stockings. Joe and Tom really thought that that was all they had gotten. Joe looked at it and sighed "I guess we just weren't good enough this year." I didn't say anything, because I wanted the surprise when we went downstairs.
We collected our stockings and headed downstairs to open them by the tree. As soon as Joe and Tom reached the basement, they were so surprised! Joe kept saying "oh my gosh!" It was really really cute.
All of the red/white and red/white/green presents are from Santa. We opened our stockings and then had to wait while Jay did the next step for the cinnamon rolls. The boys really had a hard time waiting. I don't blame them, it seemed like forever.
Jay came downstairs and we started opening gifts. Poor Joe! He said he felt sick, ran to the bathroom and coughed a bit, but nothing happened. He came back downstairs, opened up 1 more present and then threw up all over the floor! He barely missed his new toys! Jay was a saint and cleaned it up and Joe hasn't had a problem since then. But oh, that was gross!
The boys had a great time giving gifts to mom and dad and we all had a really nice day. We had ham (cooked in the roaster) for dinner and I was starting to feel under the weather so no pie was made.
I woke up to the sound of Sam destroying his room since he nows crawls in and out of his bed at will. We are switching his bed today since he got his leg stuck yesterday at naptime. It was bad enough where I thought we may have to break the bed to get him out. It was really stuck. (He also poop painted yesterday during nap-Jay's fault for not changing him when Sam asked to be changed!)
I hope that I will be feeling better soon.

1 comment:
We loved the reindeer food - that was so thoughtful of you and we plan to do that every year.
Post a Comment